Empowering Women through Cards

Hello my fellow crafters, I’m sorry I’ve been so MIA but everything has finally calmed down and is falling into place, so I can get back to regular weekly posts.  The card I want to share with you today was made using the “Fearless Farrah” stamp from Kraftin Kimmie Stamps in Canada.  She has fantastic shipping to the states and even better products!  I made ten of these cards, varying the background design and color along with the skin tone and hair and colors of the character.  It was a nice challenge to make ten cards that were similar but not the same.  Here are two examples:

The card on the left was the first one I made, so I could understand where I wanted to go with this card.  As many of you will understand, there was a lot of trial and error before I reached a design and layout that I really liked.  For the backgrounds I used stencils from the Faber-Castell Graphics stencil set 770600, which is currently out of stock on the Simon Says Stamp site, but you can request to be notified when they are back in stock.  I used both sets of Distress Oxide ink by Tim Holtz found here and here on the Simon Says Stamp where they are currently out but you can be notified when they are back in stock. To apply the background I used a different mini blending foam circle for each color so that I wouldn’t have cross contamination.  I then cut it to be smaller than the card itself, so 4″ x 5 1/4″ and then I offset it by lining it up with the right side of the card where the fold is located and then I centered it on that line.  I used Scor Tape to glue down everything that you see.

I then cut out 1.5″ circles of black cardstock as well as fun foam to back the black cardstock.   I  then chose four of the five sentiments and did 2 of three of them and 4 of the final stamp because that was mine (and my client’s) favorite.  Since I would be heat embossing each sentiment in white, I dusted each circle in turn with my EK Success powder tool. I then put the sentiment on an acrylic block and would stamp it in Versamark, but any clear, watermark in would do, and the centered it on the circle and pressed down. Then, grabbing the circle very gently with some reverse grip crafting tweezers, I would add the embossing powder and tap off the excess and the heat until smooth.  I did this ten times and let each one have it’s turn to cool, and then I went back with a white Signo gel pen and did some faux stitching around the edges to give the circle a more polished look.  I then taped each circle to it’s foam piece and then set it to the side.  I wanted that piece to be the last piece I put onto my card.
Now comes the really fun part, all of the coloring! While I won’t be able to tell you every single color I used (because there were close to 75 or 100 by the time I was done) I can give a tiny run down of my process.  I would choose the skin tone first- Caucasian, African American, or Hispanic, and then I would select the pencils that would make up the skin, hair and eyes.  I used 110 lb Neenah WHITE cardstock for the coloring.  Although, if you use Gamsol as much as I do, you may want to give Bristol a try. It’s a dream to color and blend on.  But with how I would be attaching this, I wanted something good and heavy and it was surprisingly nice to color on- the Neenah WHITE.  Then based on the background as well as skin tone, eyes, and hair, I would color the clothes, shoes, and hair accessory.  Even the drills changed colors; yellow, red, blue, and orange.  If  you can name the brands you win brownie points with me, lol.  The only coloring constant throughout the whole image were the bricks.  I used a deep red berry color from my Faber Castell colored pencils (36 pack) on all of the bricks.  As for what brands of pencils I used on everything, I alternated between Faber Castell and Prisma Color.  Speaking of those two, keep your eyes peeled this week for my comparison post of the two and find out which I think is better, and which works better with Gamsol.  For the eyes I used two gel pens, a glossy black Gelly Roll for the pupil and then the Signo white gel pen for the highlight in the eye.
I then cropped each image as close as possible to the actual image without cutting her out.  If I had cut her out, she would have gotten lost in the background and no body wants that. I then used Scor Tape to attach the cropped image to the lower right hand corner of each card, making sure there was no over hang and that everything was even.   I ALMOST added some sequins and glitter to the card but after seeing it put together in it’s entirety, I decided it looked beautiful and empowering just the way it was.  The very last step was to stamp my insignia on the back, thanks to Bossy Joscie and her amazing customized stamps.

I hope you have enjoyed this, quite long, post.  I am working to consolidate things a little bit so you hopefully don’t feel like you’re reading a novel.  Although if you like the longer posts, let me know.  Same goes if you prefer shorter posts or a mix, let me know on Facebook or down in the comments!

Lots of Love,
Emma – CardstockQueen

Leave a Reply